|Big Brother Gameplay|
|Description||The weekly process of a Houseguest leaving the Big Brother House.|
Eviction is the weekly process of a houseguest leaving the Big Brother House.
ProcessDuring the Live Eviction episode, the two nominees are given a chance to make their final pleas. After each nominee has spoken, the remaining houseguests head one at a time to the Diary Room to cast their vote to evict. The voting houseguests communicate to Julie Chen (or Arisa Cox) without the others hearing their vote. The Head of Household and the two nominees (or three nominees as with the MVP twist in Big Brother 15 and the Roadkill twist in Big Brother 18) are ineligible to vote. However, in the case of a tie, the Head of Household casts the determining vote to evict. After the votes are in, Julie (or Arisa) reports the results of the vote to the houseguests, telling them the number of votes cast in favor of each nominee. At that moment, the evicted houseguest has one minute to collect his or her bags, say good-byes, and walk out the front door, where they have an interview with the host before returning either to the real world or the Jury House. Evicted houseguests normally get to view a good-bye tape with messages from their fellow houseguests.
Following a houseguest's eviction, his or her photograph on the Memory Wall turns black and white. Normally, evicted houseguests are permanently out of the game, but on rare occasions they may return by a vote (by America/Canada or by their fellow housemates) or a competition. This has occurred in 11 seasons:
- In Big Brother 3, the house voted for Amy Crews to return to the game.
- In Big Brother 6, America voted for Kaysar Ridha to return to the game.
- In Big Brother 9, the houseguests were given the choice to see the return of James Zinkand (the most recently evicted houseguest) or to accept America's vote, Alex Coladonato, whose identity was not disclosed to them. The houseguests chose to accept James back into the Big Brother House. Sharon Obermueller also returned to the house after Neil Garcia walked from the game.
- In Big Brother 13, Brendon Villegas played in a head-to-head competition against Lawon Exum, with Brendon ultimately reentering the house.
- In Big Brother 15, the first four Jury members - Candice Stewart, Judd Daugherty, Jessie Kowalski and Helen Kim - played in a competition to return to the house concurrently with that week's Head of Household competition. Judd won the competition, but did not win HOH.
- In Big Brother 16, the first four Jury members - Jocasta Odom, Hayden Voss, Nicole Franzel and Zach Rance - competed to return to the house. Nicole ultimately reentered the game.
- In Big Brother 17, the first four Jury members - Shelli Poole, Jackie Ibarra, Becky Burgess and John McGuire - competed to return to the house (similar to Big Brother 16). John reentered the game, but did not win HOH.
- In Big Brother 18, the first five evicted houseguests - Glenn Garcia, Jozea Flores, Victor Arroyo, Bronte D'Acquisto, and Tiffany Rousso - competed in the Battle Back Competition, in which Victor won. Later in the season, the first five Jury members - Da'Vonne Rogers, Zakiyah Everette, Bridgette Dunning, Paulie Calafiore, and Victor Arroyo - competed for another chance to return (similar to Big Brother 16/17), and Victor won once again.
- In Big Brother Canada 1, Canada voted for Gary Levy to return to the game.
- In Big Brother Canada 3, the first five evicted houseguests - Risha Denner, Sindy Nguyen, Naeha Sareen, Graig Merritt, and Johnny Colatruglio - competed to return to the house, with Sindy ultimately reentering.
- In Big Brother Canada 4, Kelsey Faith and Loveita Adams got the chance to return to the game after spending a week in a hotel room together. In order to return, the houseguests would have to unanimously agree to whom should reenter the house, with Kelsey Faith being chosen.
Other instances of short-term returns include Jessie Godderz returning in a gorilla costume in Big Brother 10, Casey Turner returning to host a Power of Veto competition in Big Brother 11 (although he had no direct contact with the houseguests, communicating the rules of the game through the PA system), and Rachel Reilly returning for 24 hours as a result of Pandora's Box in Big Brother 12. During Week 12 of Big Brother 16, the jury members - Jocasta, Hayden, Zach, Donny, Nicole, and Christine returned to the house to compete in a luxury competition with the remaining houseguests. Hayden and Victoria Rafaeli won.
In Big Brother 1 the eviction process was different. Instead, a "banishment" happened every two weeks, with all of the houseguests voting on who the nominees would be. America would then decide who would be evicted.
This process is actually the most used internationally, where housemates nominate between themselves and the ones with the most votes are nominated for a public vote that will determine who will be evicted. This public vote has different methods, usually the public votes to evict (with the housemate with the most votes being evicted) or votes to save (with the housemate with the fewest votes being evicted).
- Only two players have appeared in multiple seasons of Big Brother and have never been evicted. Dick Donato won Big Brother 8 and walked during Week 1 of Big Brother 13 while Dan Gheesling won Big Brother 10 and made the Final 2 again in Big Brother 14.
- Victor Arroyo holds the record for the most times to be evicted in a single season with 3.
- Kaysar Ridha, Brendon Villegas, Janelle Pierzina; and Sindy Nguyen have all been evicted 3 times across multiple seasons.
- Nicole Franzel is the only winner to have been a two-time evicted houseguest in another season.
|Ways of Leaving|
|Ejection • Eviction • Walking|